Learning any foreign language is a complicated and long-lasting task. However, linguists tend to point out certain reasons why it´s worth doing it. Some of them are practical, some inspirational, some intellectual and others sentimental, but all of them bring a clear idea of why it´s so important to learn a foreign language. The most common reasons indicated by many are the following ones:
- Family and friends - as a result of an accelerated globalization and pace of life, we are now connected with people from all over the world and we need various languages to socialise
- Work - the ones who can speak two or more languages will always have an advantage over other applicants and job-seekers
- Study and research - knowing another foreign language gives you an access to a variety of new academic materials
- Study abroad - if you know a language of a country you would like to study in, it lets you enter the university or any other educational institutions over there.
- Travel - it is really exciting to be able to say at least a few words in a language of a country you are visiting. Moreover, it is a direct way to the heart of local people. As a well-known phrase of Nelson Mandela reminds, ”if you talk to a man in a language he understands, that goes to his head. If you talk to him in his own language, that goes to his heart“.
- Culture - a language is the cornerstone of any culture, because of which, only by learning a foreign language (at least a bit) you will be able to explore the culture at 100%. In addition to this, while learning a new language, you will learn things about your mother tongue!
- Emigration - when one leaves his homeland in search of better life (or due to other reasons), it is necessary to learn the local language at least at a basic level.
Different languages protect and nourish the growth of different cultures, where different pathways of human knowledge can be discovered. They certainly make life richer for those who know more than one of them
So now, let´s focus on Spanish and the reasons why it is good to learn it. Did you know the following facts?
- Spanish was a diplomatic language till 18th century
- There have been 11 literature Nobel prizes in Spanish
- It is now a language spoken by 500 millon people
- It is the second most studied language in the world
- Mexico contains the largest Spanish speaking population (114 millons, followed by the U.S. with 5 millions)
- Teaching of Spanish as a second language is obligatory in Brasil.
- Spanish is the official language of 22 countries (the 2nd largest native language in the world)
- It is the 3rd most used language on the internet
Spanish now is one of the most impotant languages to learn. According to reserches, Spanish is becoming more and more significant with regards to buisness. It is also important in terms of economy due to the enormous Spanish speaking population in the most powerful coutry, the USA. If you know Spanish, you will be able to speak with local people in numerous countries of the world (Spain, Latin America, the Caribbean, etc) and to explore the Hispanic-American herritage. Thus, whatever your inspirations are – practical, economic, intellectual or emotional – learning Spanish is, for sure, a very enjoyable task that might benefit you for the rest of your life!
By the way, a person who is is fascinated by languages and enjoys learning them is often called linguaphile.
Let´s be a bit linguaphiles with Academia CILE! Let´s learn Spanish!
#Spanish #learn #language #reasons